Please follow the links below for the latest news, legislation and guidance on the COVID-19 pandemic:-
Deceased Management Advisory Group
- 05.08.2020 Public Health England updates its 'COVID-19: guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic' to reflect new rules on self-isolation from 7 to 10 days
- 31.07.2020 ‘Guidance - Face coverings: when to wear one and how to make your own’ - updated to include visiting funeral directors premises from 8 August
- 31.07.2020 Department of Health & Social Care issues 'North of England: local restrictions' which confirms details of funeral attendance
- 30.07.2020 Public Health England updates its 'COVID-19: guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic' to include local restrictions imposed
- 16.07.2020 Scottish Government updates guidance on 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): funeral services in places of worship'
- 15.07.2020 Scottish Government introduces COVID-19 Test and Protect guidance, applicable to cremation authorities, burial authorities, places of worship and funeral director service rooms offering funeral services
- 10.07.2020 Scottish Government announces limit of 20 in funeral attendances and crematoriums to be fully reopened
- 09.07.2020 Scottish Government announces 'Easing of Funeral Restrictions in Scotland with effect from 15th July'
- 09.07.2020 Public Health England issues updated 'COVID-19: guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic'
- 08.07.2020 Public Health England issues updated 'Guidance for care of the deceased with suspected or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19)'
- 03.07.2020 Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government publishes guidance on 'Closing certain businesses and venues in Leicester'
- 03.07.2020 Northern Ireland Department of Health issues 'Updated Interim Guidelines for Funeral Directors on managing infection risks when handling deceased'
- 02.07.2020 Department of Health & Social Care issues guidanceon maintaining records to support NHS Test and Trace, which applies in (amongst other places) 'places of worship' and 'facilities provided by the local authority'
- 29.06.2020 Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government publishes 'COVID-19: Guidance for the safe use of places of worship from 4 July'
- 24.06.2020 Scottish Government publishes its route map for easing of restrictions, including funeral attendance restrictions
- 19.06.2020 Scottish Government publishes 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): funeral services in places of worship'
- 17.06.2020 Welsh Government updates its 'Guidance to local authorities on funerals: COVID-19'
- 18.05.2020 Public Health England updates its guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic
- 13.05.2020 Scottish Government updates its 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for funeral directors'
- 12.05.2020 Public Health England updates its 'Guidance for care of the deceased with suspected or confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19)'
- 05.05.2020 Welsh Government updates its guidance to local authorities on the impact of the Health Protection (Coronavirus Restrictions) (Wales) Regulations 2020 on funerals
- 05.05.2020 Department of Health & Social Care issues 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): verification of death in times of emergency'
- 20.04.2020 Scottish Government publishes 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for burial and cremation authorities'
- 20.04.2020 Scottish Government publishes 'Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for funeral services'
- 20.04.2020 Ministry of Justice updates cremation form 4 enabling an electronic signature to be embedded
- 19.04.2020 Public Health England issue guidance for managing a funeral during the coronavirus pandemic
- 15.04.2020 Department of Health in Northern Ireland issues updated interim guidelines for funeral directors on managing infection risks when handling the deceased
- 13.04.2020 Scottish Government issues update on PPE supply for funeral directors in Scotland
- 13.04.2020 Scottish Government publishes Scottish Funeral Industry Guidance for funeral directors, burial and cremation authorities, and funeral services
- 06.04.2020 Scottish Government publishes Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on preparation for burial or cremation for religious organisations, faith and cultural groups
- 06.04.2020 Scottish Government publishes temporary changes to cremation procedure with effect from 8 April 2020
- 05.04.2020 Cabinet Office circulates 'Managing the Deceased During a Pandemic : Guidance for planners in England' - to be read in conjunction with recent specific COVID-19 guidance
- 03.04.2020 Ministry of Justice publishes revised cremation forms and accompanying guidance notes for use during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 03.04.2020 Ministry of Justice publishes revised guidance for medical practitioners on notifying deaths to coroners for use during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 03.04.2020 Scottish Government issues supplementary form for use with cremation applications in Scotland
- 01.04.2020 The Northern Ireland Health Board has released guidance for Funeral Directors on handling the deceased.
- 31.03.2020 Public Health England has issued new advice for safe funerals after discussions with faith leaders
- 31.03.2020 NHS England & NHS Improvement publishes 'Coronavirus Act - excess death provisions: information and guidance for medical practitioners'
- 31.03.2020 General Register Office issues FAQs
- 30.03.2020 National Records of Scotland issues FAQs on the revised registration of deaths and still-births service
- 27.03.2020 National Records of Scotland - COVID-19 - Briefing for the Funeral Industry - Death and still-birth registration service
- 27.03.2020 National Records of Scotland issues Scottish Registration Service contact details for Scotland
- 26.03.2020 Scottish Government issues updated Health Protection Scotland advice
- 26.03.2020 Chief Coroner issues guidance to coroners in England & Wales
- 25.03.2020 Scottish Government issues new measures specific to funerals in Scotland
- 20.03.2020 Ministry of Justice issues confirmation of key aims of the Coronavirus Bill introduced to Parliament on 19 March 2020
- 18.03.2020 The Department of Health and Social Care has published details of legislation being introduced to ensure that deaths during the coronavirus pandemic continue to be dealt with respect and dignity. The legislation is expected to take effect by the end of the month
UK Acts and Regulations
- 07.08.2020 The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings in a Relevant Place) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 come into force on 8th August 2020 requiring face coverings to be worn in crematorium and burial ground chapels, as well as indoor places of worship
- 24.07.2020 The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Wearing of Face Coverings in a Relevant Place) (England) Regulations 2020 come into force
- 04.07.2020 The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2) (England) Regulations 2020 come into force allowing up to 30 people to attend a funeral in a 'place of worship' irrespective of their relationship with the deceased
- 22.04.2020 The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 come into force allowing movement to visiting 'a burial ground or garden of remembrance, to pay respects to a member of the person’s household, a family member or friend'
- 22.04.2020 The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2020 come into force amending the requirement for burial grounds and crematorium grounds to be closed to the public
- 26.03.2020 The Coronavirus Act 2020 (Commencement No. 1) Regulations 2020 (which include regulations relating to registration of deaths, confirmatory medical certificates etc, come into force
- 26.03.2020 Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020 come into effect - including provision requiring the closure of crematorium and burial grounds (s5(8)) to public access (with the exception of attending funerals)
- 25.03.2020 Coronavirus Act 2020 enacted
Northern Ireland Regulations
Other organisations updates and/or guidance